There are numerous important decisions that we need to make as we get older. Many of these decisions need to be in written form and legally valid in order to prevent financial, legal, and emotional angst later in life.
It is recommended that you complete the following set of documents to ensure that your health care wishes are honored and that you have the people you want making decisions for you should you become incapacitated.
- A durable power of attorney for health care decisions
- A durable power of attorney for financial decisions
- Advanced medical directives
- A standard will
- A living will for medical decisions
- Medical and financial release of information forms
- A hospital visitation form for family member and/or friends
- Orders for life sustaining treatment for end of life care